Attachments: MHA 616 Week 4 Health Information Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Violations.zip [ Preview Here ]
This Tutorial contains 2 Papers
Health Information Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Violations. Read pages 90-94 of your course text, including the Release of Information section, the Perspective: Examples of Recently Published HIPAA Privacy Violations section, and Exhibits 3.3 and 3.4. Next, select one of the cases from the list below:
· Civil money penalty: HHS imposes a $4.3 million civil money penalty for violations of the HIPAA privacy rule
· Doctor and Two Former Hospital Employees Plead Guilty to HIPAA Violation
· Mass General Hospital Settles Potential HIPAA Violations
· Rite Aid agrees to pay $1 million to settle HIPAA privacy case
· UCLA health system settles potential HIPAA privacy and security violations
Then, provide a case analysis on HIPAA violation of patient health information (PHI) that was present in the case you selected (from those listed above). Include the following points in your case analysis:
· Give a brief summary of the case. What was the main issue identified in the case?
· There are several rules specified in HIPAA privacy and security act.
· Do you believe the penalties sanctioned were appropriate for the type of infraction? Explain your rationale.
· What is your understanding of HIPAA privacy and security rules as it applies to this case?
· What was the significance of this case with regards to health care information systems, either in general or to the organizations that work in this field?
· Were any other laws (besides HIPAA) broken? If yes, what law(s)?
· Include a paragraph about how this particular case could apply to your Final Proposal. What impact might lessons learned from this particular case have on your Final Proposal case study?